9:34 PM

my missing puzzle piece

Bloggie! I’ve missed you! Oh yes – and all you gorgeous people that actually spent precious moments of your lives reading the jargon that my fingertips punch out erratically. Wow. What a holiday! so there’ve been some crazy, annoying (well, more than a few) moments, but the good certainly outweighed the bad… since the last time, you’d be shocked to know that technological osmosis boy and I had actually had civil conversations with each other – and he turned out to be quite a sweet guy who after the 5th time of being deleted, still persisted and now we’re friends :)

Anyway…my holiday…where do I begin…well, after my weeks of lazing around at home, mum and I flew to jhb. Believe it or not, I’ve been to Lesotho, Sun City, Cape Town and lived in America, but I had never stayed in jhb! Initially I hated it – the thin, dry air that threatened to give me nosebleeds, the endless traveling, the absence of the ocean and the colourlessness of this landlocked puzzle piece that fit somewhere between nowhere and forever…but I left with the longing to return and a wish that I had arrived earlier…like 10years earlier.

Pretoria, well more specifically, laudium embraced me with an unexpected charm. I wouldn’t say the place itself had a character that I fell in love with, but the people I spent those few stunning days with breathed life into it. Let me introduce you : first there’s my grandaunt – totally cool, classy, young at heart and with a sense of style that would put Extreme Makeover Home Edition out of work. She absolutely rocks! Then there’s my aunt – sweet, cute and patient and always smiling (think that runs in the sane side of my family) and then there are my cousins who are crazy and sweet and fun and I could kick myself for waiting this long to get to know them… between fordsburg, menlyn, the union buildings, wimpy, lenasia and god knows where else, I ended up making mendhi patterns for my cousin’s art class (dude, hope you got and A), eating greek salad and water at a paki restaurant coz the place looked dodgy, and staying up til the wee hours of the morning talking to sumi ;) and all in all, I loved it! And I laughed. A lot. My mum and my grandaunt are so cute…once we were driving to jhb and my aunt mentioned something about the blind spot and my grandaunt said ‘why don’t you wipe it?’ that was the most adorable thing! And it so happened, that morning, I was listening to Justin timberlake (sorry jo) and mum walked in and asked, ‘why are you listening to that African man trying to sing?’ :) must have been that Pretoria air.

Well, then there were some crazy moments. I mean, you cant erase the crazy part of your family no matter how hard you try (and believe me I’ve tried, but I’m a psycho-magnet. I just attract them. mum says its my ‘come to me, I can help you’ look). Anyway, so the psycho side of the family pitched up, imposing themselves and ordering us to go where they wanted to go. But I guess that happens in most huge families with control freaks just waiting for their next fix. Or are they manic depressive…I cant decide. Can u be both? Lemme know.
Apart from that, laudium was a blast. I even got to see the house we lived in after I was born. Right there in Jewel street. and the whole set up was very 7de Laan-ish, but something about it won me over and sumi and I now have this dream of one day living next door to each other :) and there was something about their house too…its was white and pretty and like three storeys high but I think in laudium, where house are houses, this one was a home and I truly felt comfy there..and my grandaunt’s minimalist interior design and en-suite bathroom made it all the more irresistible (including that fiberglass/ wire/ absolutely funky techno piece of art called a light-fitting my grandaunt picked out).

I loved it. have I said that already? I feel like im leaving things out. But I cant remember what. As u might have noticed, my use of the English language has begun to…begun to…what’s another word for dilapidate? Oh yes. deteriorate. Need to start writing essays again. And yet another semester begins- full of possibility…and I keep dreaming, thinking back to those four days…when I found my missing puzzle piece.

7 comments:

M Junaid said...

welcome back qd. let me be the first to comment before the blog-whores attack this site.

great holiday - pity you didnt meet up with any island boys - i heard that they are all the rage

safiyyamk said...

glad u had a great holiday...

believe me we all have crazy sided family- the bossy arrogrant ones, bery hard to avoid... but forget about them and enjoy the holidays... :) welcome back to blogland

qdee said...

aww thanks...
lol island boys with akhlaaq.i've met only one

S said...

Blog whoring begins:)

Missed you.

Jhb - Bronkhorspruit family - Let me not even get started...;)

Ruby :) said...

I live in jhb, and i loove it1 would not move to any other place in SA... in a hurry. mu sister lives in laudium, but i dont visit her often, cos i dont really like laudium(i know, lots of the bloggers just love that place!)

Anonymous said...

Her qdee.. Well what a hectic trip to Laudium.. I know it was your 1st but it better not be your last..It was soooo much fun having you around and I'm gonna make it my duty to find you a Laudium guy(",)Im sorry for the crazy people who spoilt your holiday, but hey we still had fun when they wern't around.. Im soo glad I've finally found some1 who agrees that we've got the most retarded family eva!! Can't wait till the next time you come down.. take lotsa care.. Miss ya...
... Sumi

qdee said...

sumiii!!! :)
you made my day.


ShoutMix chat widget